Re: [ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #425

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin M Rush" <salmineo@domain.elided>

> The first question that comes to my mind is:  Why?
>
> If one needed a real anvil, it should be iron, not brass or bronze.  If
> it is just supposed to be a paperweight, what connection is there between
> IHC and anvils that is supposed to be showcased/memorialized?  I know
> they made just about everything at one time or other, but I have never
> seen an example of their anvilsmithing capabilities.
>
> -Colin Rush

IHC made a lot of commemorative items like this at their foundries. A bear
cub holding a tractor (cub) is one, a cadet (looks like an English honor
guard), ash trays, anvil and the list goes on.
Some went to dealers , some went to employees as awards such as safety.
There are several variations of each. All are collectable, some more that
others.
Problem is that they are easily reproduced as more fairly rough castings. So
beware as there are fakes out there and good ones at that.
I bought my "Cadet" back a number of years for $20 and no they are going for
many times that.

David Gregg