[ihc] Turning Engine by hand w/AT

Something I never thought much about, until I was sitting outside doing it and
not doing it very well!!!

If I am trying to turn an engine by hand, and it has an Auto trannie, do I
need it in Neutral?  The engine turns in Park without moving the car, so I
don't QUITE understand why it wouldn't work that way, but for some reason,
think that it wouldn't.

I tried to find Neutral (converted vehicle with no indicator-just have to
"guess" what gear it has gone into when it is off), but still could not get a
turn out of it.  Just wondering if my logic is right or not.

Thanks!

Michael