[ihc] 2WD to 4WD conversion

>Here are a couple of questions to you guys who have done this to your
>pickup or t-all. I am in the process of doing this to a customers truck.
>Does the rear spring mounts on the front axle have to be moved forward
>or will the 4x springs go back in the same location as the springs on
>the I beam axle? Is a 2WD frame predrilled for the t-case hangers of do
>they have to be punched?
>
>Rocky

Rocky,
  I converted my '72 2WD to 4WD a while back.  I have never swapped
the springs, but I have yet to swap the springs and rear spring perches.
As a result, I do have a bit if a down angle on the pinion, and I can feel
vibration if the hubs are locked or I'm in 4WD on a smooth road.  I
think you've already received the answers you needed, but I'll kick
in my $0.02.

To answer your questions, No, the 4WD springs won't reach or work
with the spring perches in the 2WD location.  The two trucks I have
(2WD factory) all have the holes pre-drilled to move the perches.

All my frames have also had the holes for the transfer case support, but
you may have to drop the gas tanks to get the bolts in--its very tight
to try and get them in there with the tanks in place.

I also had to modify the crossmember that the center bearing bolted
to.  Factory 4WD trucks with a 131/132" WB don't have this
crossmember.  I have some minor sawsall cuts so the driveline clears
without removing the crossmember.

I've got some writeup on my website,
http://pacific.telebyte.com/allanw/binder/

Allan W.