Re: [ihc] Coil Voltage?

John,
	As I said, my electrical knowledge is pretty minimal but the way I
understand it, as explained by a fleet service mechanic I met at a
wedding, (yes, I had a few drinks and my knowledge retention was lowered)
I need the trigger wire to come from a hot source during cranking, if I
want the fast idle solenoid to stay extended. He said most of the power
is diverted away from everything but the starting system during start up
and my best course of action was to connect the trigger wire to the
positive side of the coil. Now, I am trying to figure out why it doesn't
work and how to make it work.
	Tomorrow I will test the voltage between the positive side of the coil
and ground. As you said, "The voltage from the coil is not relevant as
long as it will close the relay.". Well, the relay is not closing and I
would like to know why.
	 I have added a bus bar to my electrical system and all of my grounds go
directly back to the battery.  I don't think it is a grounding problem.
The Pro-jection works fine, once it is started. I just don't like the
fact that starting the Scout is harder with F. I. than it was without it.
Thanks for your help.

George H.
72 Scout II
345 V8

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:12:58 -0800 John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
writes:

> George,
>
> I'm a little confused. You want to use the positive terminal on the
> coil as
> the TRIGGER for the relay to the Pro-jection. Well, the voltage
> across the
> coil is irrelevant in this case, as the voltage between the positive
> terminal and the ground is what is relevant. So, you turn on the
> key, and
> the voltage from the positive terminal goes through the relay to
> GROUND (all
> important!) which  closes the relay which then takes current
> directly from
> the battery to supply the fuel pump, the fast idle solenoid and
> whatever
> else the ECCU tells it to supply. The voltage from the coil is not
> relevant
> as long as it will close the relay. The negative terminal on the
> coil is
> used as the tach signal, but not as the ground to the relay, or to
> anything
> else.
>
> Most all problems with the Pro-jection, if it is wired correctly,
> are caused
> by bad grounds.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> John