Re: [ihc] good flare tool?

on 2/25/04 7:32 PM, James Lidberg at jameslidberg@domain.elided wrote:

> I need to buy a good flare tool, both for fuel/auto tranny lines and for brake
> work.
>
> For use with aluminum, steel, and stainless steel (maybe).
>
> Thanks for your opinions.
>
> - Jim in Mesa
> **************
> Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
> jameslidberg@domain.elided
> '79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07 open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster
> Copyright 2004 All rights reserved

There are a number of good brands of flaring tools out there. Lots of bad
ones too.

I have a dandy made by Imperial Brass. Snap-On makes a good one. I would
guess that both Lisle and KD make good ones, but I haven't examined either.

I prefer the ones with the body made out of steel strips laminated together.
The part that forces its nose down into the tubing (can't come up with a
name this morning) should engage when slipped over the base and rotated
some.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs