Subject: RE: [ihc] Antique plates--Good or Bad?

Alan-

I called NJ DMV on Monday on the same subject.

Their website (http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cleanair/exempt_inspection.html)
provides this info:

"Vehicles Exempt from Inspection

Inspections are not required for certain vehicles, such as historic and
collector vehicles.

Historic Vehicles

To be designated as a "historic vehicle," the owner must ensure that the
vehicle

is at least 25 years old,
is used only for exhibition purposes or was manufactured before 1945,
has a special registration and a QQ plate displayed on the rear of the
vehicle.
Collector Vehicles

For a vehicle to be designated as a "collector vehicle," the owner must
apply* at the time of registration or renewal for this designation and must
provide evidence that the vehicle

is not registered as a "historic vehicle," under N.J.S.A. 39:3-27.3 et seq.,
or a "street rod," under N.J.S.A. 39:3-27.27,
is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year,
is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle." (Proof must be supplied at
time of odometer verification.)
For inspection-exempt status, the vehicle must be taken to a state
inspection station for odometer and insurance verification.

Visit the exit end of the inspection station.
Ask the inspector to verify the odometer reading of the "collector vehicle";
MVC may require that the vehicle be equipped with an odometer lock.
Pay fee ($25 and $10 per renewal) for the special decal which indicates that
the vehicle is exempt from safety and emission inspection.
*Call MVC at 609.292.6500 or (toll-free in NJ) 888.486.3339 for an
application. Submit the completed application to any MVC agency or by mail

Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, NJ 08666-0016"

What this does NOT say and I was told by a DMV person is that there is NO
choice as to which category you can classify your vehicle. If 24 years old
or less, it's a "collector vehicle". If it is 25 years or more, it is a
Historic Vehicle. I thought we would have a choice! This may need to be
verified by a second source.

In addition, note the collector insurance policy requirement. These
insurance policies are "really cheap" for New Jersey. Like $75 per year for
a 73 Corvette insured for $9000 w/ $1000 deductible. However, the
requirements, generally, include: 1) that they are driven for pleasure only
(no errands, not for work) and are limited to 2500 miles per year, 2) that
no driver until 25 can drive them, 3) that there must be a car for each
driver in the household not including any cars with this type of insurance,
and 4) collector insured vehicle must be kept in a locked garage when not in
use. Also note, NJ DMV may apply an odometer lock!

Charlie Bierly