RE: [ihc] Antique plates--Good or Bad?

## >> Btw, why do we call them "plates" even when we only have one plate?

i think that depends on the state, Ryan.  California and Texas both require
two plates on all vehicles.  our 800A and the 1110 both have front/rear CA
plates (all my trucks in CA have two plates as well, though none are
currently registered), and the new car has front/rear Texas plates.  the
post police/MPs here often spot-check for both plates on vehicles passing
through the gate coming on post, too.

## >> I'd never want to register as something that had a limit on
## >> mileage.  But
## >> that's all up to you.  My scout is my only driver at the
## >> moment and 3,000
## >> sure is a small number,  even for a secondary vehicle.

again, this depends on situation.  my lovely Bride's car only travels a
maximum of 15 miles on any given workday, often only half that, and usually
isn't used at all on weekends unless there's some errand that needs to be
taken care of, which is infrequent.  my truck isn't used for anything right
now except picking the kids up from school each weekday afternoon.  during
winter, the 800A doesn't get driven at all, period.  it's a little over a
mile to the school, and less than three miles to her work, our local Bank,
the Commissary and the PX are all basically right across the street from us.
barring other travels, that's about 4,000 miles a year on her car, and less
than 700 miles a year on my truck.  in spring, i'll start driving the 800A
again, putting the same miles on *it* for the days i drive it that i would
be putting on the TravelAll.  which lessens the miles on the TravelAll while
still keeping less miles on the Scout than on the TravelAll.  plus she's
talking about wanting to drive the Scout this summer once or twice a week
instead of her car to work, further balancing the miles between the three
vehicles.  in our case, custom plates with 3,000 miles a year or less could
actually work out to our benefit, and might change our insurance costs for
the better.

just as a side note, the reality is that she's not here so far on average of
5 months of any given year on TDY, deployment, field exercises, and other
Army-related business, which means her car (and one of the other two trucks)
isn't being driven at all during her absences, so the real mileage on all of
them is less than 3,000 a year anyway.  i'm not going to go with limited
licensing or anything like that, but there are probably others in a similar
situation who might find this to be a good thing to do.

my nickel.  grain of salt blah blah blah.

--Mac

P.S.: she's already back from the last crap-assignment "deployment"...  they
re-classed it as a TDY halfway through, and the Battery Commander demanded
that they be sent home in time to do some "practice field exercises" to get
ready for their Ex-Eval in April.  so they're doing all kinds of maintenance
work to prep for ten days in the field starting first of March, come home
for a week and a half, two more weeks in the field, and then the Ex-Eval is
supposed to last all of April.  First Sergeant is telling everyone to expect
at least two more 30 to 60 day TDYs (if not more) this spring/summer unless
they come up for rotation to Iraq.  and that's the news from Fort Bliss.

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/