[ihc] RE:oil bath air filters

Yup, exactly right if one believes the data floating around the net. A lot
of it is tied to Amsoil filter marketing, but is still credible. An oil bath
really only has an edge in environments where an element filter would clog
so quickly as to be impractical, at the expense of increased wear.

I have run one of the 'universal' hot rod filter setups on a Holley 1bbl,
about 4" around. If I were to do so again I'd browse the NAPA industrial
filter catalog and pick a foam sock for the outside. Spritz that with some
of the K&N spray filter oil(or soak it in clean motor oil if you don't mind
the mess). Keep the sock clean and I expect paper elements will last quite a
while.

There *are* OEM element filter housings out there, I have them on several A
and B series trucks. For some reason, every '61 - '68 I have came with an
oil bath.

Jim

<snipped from Hofs>
I grew up with oil bath air filters and always marveled at the gunk that
collected in the bottom under the oil. Looked really efficient, so I assumed
it was.

A number of our guys pointed out to me that the oil bath does not do as good
a job as a good paper filter. Gave me actual test data, among other things.
The oil bath relies on the dust "falling out of the air" and into the oil
for its filtration. If the dust doesn't fall out, then it goes down into the
carb.

As I thought about it, I remembered that heavy equipment working in dusty
situations rely on pleated filters for their air filtration. I assumed that
they had a reason, actually a number of reasons.

So, my fancy went from oil bath to K&N filters, and then the guys convinced
me that the K&N's weren't all that good at filtration either, so in the case
of my Scout, I'm back, as Jim Grammer says, with paper filters and a foam
band around the outside.