[ihc] Glessie's no start redux

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:51:05 -0800
From: J Grammer <jim@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Glessie's no start again

>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:08:51 -0800
>From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [ihc] Intermittent Starter
>
>Bill,
>
>The most common cause of the symptoms that you are experiencing is the
>signal that is getting to the solenoid. Many, many of us have resolved
>that problem by putting a Ford solenoid on the firewall, and letting
>the signal from the ignition switch activate the Ford solenoid, and
>have the Ford solenoid send the signal on to the Delco starter.
>
>There are two versions of this "fix", the one I use which is to use the
>Ford solenoid as a relay, and a more complicated "fix" that has the
>Ford solenoid replace the switching function of the Delco solenoid.
>There is  write-up on the BB FAQ of this complicated fix. Our Tom M.
>and others will say that it is not all that complicated, but the relay
>solution is certainly more "above-board". <g>
>
>John

Hofs, I don't disagree with anything you've said here. However, I had that
truck for 2 years or so with *no* hot start issues whatsoever. It was my
primary tow vehicle for most of that time, so I got it good and warm on a
number of occasions. That history implies that something has changed.
Either the battery has lost some cranking ampacity, the starter circuit or
main battery connections have gone south, or the starter itself has taken a
dump. I pretty much think the likelyhood is in reverse order of that list,
but....

Bill, IIRC you need to depend on this truck to start and get your field
stuff to a job site. If it were me, I would 1) have the battery load tested
2) check for corrosion/anything funky with the main battery cable to the
starter 3) have the starter rebuilt by a proper auto electric shop, and 4)
install a remote Ford style solenoid in the 'simple' configuration.

Jim

Everyone!  Thanks for all the great info.  The battery is near new deep
cycle with plenty of cranking amperage.  Main battery cable has not been
swapped but appears in good condition. I am going to check the relay first,
cuz it sure seems like that clicking was coming from under the dash.  I have
hooked up a stereo system with current draw since you last saw the ol girl,
but I dont think (??) this could be the problem (not on when trying to
start).  Soon to the relay and possibly main cable and maybe see what
happens for a while.  Would like to try the bypass of the solenoid next time
it happens to see if I can get it started that way.

Bill