[ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #315

John M. Adams wrote:

> Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:37:24 -0700
> From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
> Subject: [ihc] need some advice on possible scout purchase
>
> I could use some advice on a potential purchase. There's a 67 800 for sale
> in my neighborhood, and I'm more than tempted... I've plenty of work on the
> Travelall yet, and not a lot of spare time, but... Let me just ask if you
> think it's a reasonable price: He wants $800. Odo reads 35K, so likely 135K.
> It's mechanically sound, but the body is rough. It has the 196, 3 speed
> manual, Dana 44 rear, 30 front, unknown ratios, dual tanks. Runs great,
> drives well, everything works. He has the "pickup" style (halfcab?) top on
> it, but it's from a Scout 80, and doesn't fit properly. He also has the full
> size 800 top, in the yard under snow. There's rust (floors and fender
> wells), and bondo, and primer, but no major dents or crumples in the body.
> It would be quite a project for me to get it looking decent... As you can
> probably tell, I'm not experienced with Scouts. I love the lines of the
> earlier models, and have always wanted one, but this one? Does it sound like
> it's worth $800? Don't know what they are worth... I'm not looking for a
> Scout II, and the 80s and 800s don't come up all that often, so like I said,
> I'm tempted... Any and all thoughts appreciated, guys. Thanks, -John A.

I don't know if it's worth $800.00, or not. That's what I paid for my '70
800A, with floor rust issues, bad PO modifications, and a 152- T90 combo
that both need an overhaul. I had the spare cash, and wanted an 800. This
one is an ex military (Army) rig, and the exterior sheet metal is nearly
rust free. It also had a snow plow as part of the deal. The decision can
only be made by you. Think of what an old Bronco would go for. Much more
than $800.00, I'm thinking. I'm going to peck away at the problems mine
has, and hopefully get it back on the road someday, as a reliable,
driveable vehicle. The older they get, the more they're worth, if in any
kind of repairable condition.
Tom Anderson