[ihc] Roll bars, are they just for show? No.

Damian,
      I have 5 Scouts.  I have roll bars for three of them.

The back seats fold through, you just need to be determined to do it, they
rub, but not too badly.  It makes the sides of the back seats get dirty a
bit quicker, but that's all.

I had the unfortunate opponrunity to roll my '76 Scout II "Marianne" in
June of 95.  Fortunately, is was equipped with a 'roll bar', the type that
bolts to the bed step corner and the saddles atop the fenders.  This bar
was three pieces, with the main hoop from side to side, and the two rear
down-tubes bolting into sockets on the hoop.  Thankfully, the bar, more
than saved my life.  It saved the truck too.  The rollover was to the left
and the truck went over and stayed upside down.  The tow truck (the second
one, the first tow truck was just a pickup...) turned it over, and with
some small adjustments, and additional fluids, I was able to drive the
truck home, aside from the lack of glass, and the top of the windshield
rubbing the steering wheel.  Took the top off, and drove the truck for many
years after.  Still have the truck, albeit with a new front clip, and it
still looks fine, and it awaits me any day in the parking lot.

I highly recommend even just the three piece hoop for whatever price it is.
$200 is normal, though you can probably track one down for a bit less.

JoelB