Re: [ihc] TravelAll in the movies

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin M Rush" <salmineo@domain.elided>

> My roommate rented Bad Boys II this weekend past, and there is a
> TravelAll in it, what looks to be approximately a '72.  Toward the end,
> while the movie heroes are assaulting the bad guy's home in Cuba, all
> hell breaks loose, what with the house blowing up and the Cuban army
> arriving on the scene and the Americans scattering to get away with the
> girl.  Just before Will Smith drives away in the H2, someone tries to get
> away in a TravelAll, and succeeds in driving it into a pond in the
> garden.  I do not know why it is there, as it was never shown earlier,
> and only seems to be there for glorified IH destruction.  Thought y'all
> might be interested.  I had not seen anyone mention it, but if you have,
> sorry for the repeat.
> -Colin Rush

The interesting thing about this is that somebody would have had to take the
trouble to smuggle a 70s travelall into Cuba for this to have taken place,
since that's where the chase scene would have taken place. You've got to
wonder if anybody really would have done that rather than just buy some
other make from a country that's not participating in the sanctions.

Of course, I can see why somebody would rather smuggle a travelall than buy
a south American or european made vehicle, but it's hard to imagine anybody
in Cuba seeing it that way. My initial reaction to seeing that was "what
would a square travelall be doing in Cuba?"

Aside from that, it was a pretty good chase scene, though.

-Allan