[ihc] Is Jim G. a Grammarman?

on 1/13/04 12:39 PM, Shubin, Pete at pshubin@domain.elided wrote:

> Here, you would be taken into the street and flogged for use of such an
> insensitive term.  Now maybe Chinaman-American may be acceptable.  A hyphen
> in-between tow otherwise distinct characteristics to create a single indent
> seems to be the trend.  Honestly it has gotten to a point where it is best
> to drop any reference to race or national origin if you decide it best to be
> politically correct.

Let's see now, I'm partly Ger***, nope can't say that.

Hey, how come it's still quite proper to say Irishman?

And, Englishman?

Then too, one of the guys on the BB calls himself Scoutman.

I'm confused, but maybe it's because I'm from a part of California that
thinks Orange County is way too liberal for the common good.

Anyway, I have no need to offend anyone, so ....

John

P.S. My daughter belongs to a committee in Nevada County, CA whose stated
goal is to make the Democratic Party a significant factor in state and
national politics. Bless her heart, she and they will only need to convert
about 45% of the non Democrats. But, that's the kind of thing young people
need to attempt.