[ihc] Rusty water

My wife's Scout II with a 345 has a problem that I haven't been able to solve.

Seems the only thing I didn't check when we purchased it a few years back was the coolant; after owning it about a year or so, I decided to flush the radiator. The water was extremely rusty, in fact there was sludge in the bottom of the radiator. I flushed it out, put in new coolant, and forgot about it - until the next year, when the water was again opaque with rust.

About that time, the water pump pipes developed a leak; after replacing them, I concluded that all the rust was coming from those corroded pipes. (I pulled the pump at the time and checked it - no rust at all on the impeller or housing, and I couldn't see any rusting in the thermostat well either.) I thought I had the problem solved.

Imagine my surprise on checking the coolant yesterday - it looks like mud again! How can I fix the problem?
--

-=[ grant ]=- KD7JNW

"Where there are no men, strive to be a man" -- Hillel
==
butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take
orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Heinlein
==
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" -- Patton