RE: [ihc] Scout Mileage estimates

## >> Bidners,
## >>       Just the other day I was discussing the finer points of
## >> IH ownership
## >> with my lovely female IH companion and she raised an
## >> interesting question:
## >> "At what speed is the best mileage attained?"
## >>       Well, I've seen for years that IH mileage is listed as
## >> being between
## >> 12 and 19 MPG depending on configuration and city/hwy, BUT
## >> (there always is
## >> one...) at what speed are these measured?
## >> http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/6.htm#4
## >> She suggested something like 30 MPH?  I said the best numbers
## >> I've ever had
## >> were at 61 MPH in my 392/727 powered 4wd '75 TA lifted with a
## >> roof rack and
## >> other external oddities.
## >>
## >> So, at what speed do YOU all experience the best mileage?  I
## >> know that I
## >> often sacrifice mileage for arrival/travel time, and for the
## >> few dollars in
## >> transit it makes sense for me.
## >>
## >> Thanks!
## >> JoelB

sorry this took so long to get back to you about.  i've been having mail
server troubles, and was entirely without a working server for quite a few
days.  i'm back though so here we go.  all new mail server, all new
software, i'm good to go.  (sadly it is not exim, but i'll get there yet).

our (now gone) 1968 Scout 800 with 152, 3-speed, and 4.27 gears (28" tires)
got 18 to 19mpg most of the time around the base here, never exceeding
35mph.  the little truck was pretty much entirely stock except for slightly
undersized tires and an electric fuel pump.  standard points ignition, stock
coil, stock plugs, stock plug wires.

the 1970 Scout 800A (possibly factory tow package[1]) has a 392 with
ThermoQuad 4-barrel, 4-speed tranny, 3.73 (powr-lok rear trac-lok front)
gears, and 31" tires.  the engine has had all the emissions stuff removed
(the correct plugs in the air injection holes) and the original non-EGR
intake replaced with an EGR model, with the EGR port blocked off.  this baby
gets right about 12mph no matter what i do with it.  stomp on it, feather
it, whatever i like, it's a flat 12mpg.  the thing has no top, and a towbar
on the front.  back when it still had a top and before the towbar was
installed, it still only got 12mpg.  the best it ever got was 14mpg on a
200-mile-each-way trip, not long after we got it.  this one has standard
points ignition, stock coil, Belkin 7mm plug wires, and Bosch Platinum
plugs.

now my 1972 TravelAll 1110 4x4 (factory tow package[2]) is a different
matter.  392 with Holley ProJection 2-barrel analogue TBI (no closed loop),
Crane FireBall XR3000 electronic ignition pushed by a rather hot (probably
too hot) Mallory high performance coil, Belkin 8mm plug wires, Bosch
Platinum plugs, and some kind of aftermarket "performance" cam.  this one
has 33" tires, 4.10 gears (probably open diffs), 727 auto with aux cooler,
enormous (and heavy) pto winch front bumper, unwieldy roof rack with spare
up there, overhead driving lights front and rear, compleat and fully
functional A.I.R. emissions equipment, and air conditioning (non functional
but present).  when we first got it, we drove about 800 miles to get it home
at about 65mph, and averaged 11mpg or so.  ever since then, it's been
roughly 8mpg unless it's really running poorly, when it gets 7mpg,
regardless of speed.  the best it ever got was 13mpg on a trip from the
mountains east of Fresno CA to Oakland CA and back, averaging 60mpg for the
trip.

lastly, my 1972 TravelAll 1010 (factory tow package[3])...  this one is the
real performer of the bunch.  again a 392, this one compleatly
factory-original, with a Holley square-bore double pumper 650, points
ignition with stock coil, compleat functional A.I.R. emissions system, and
functional air conditioner.  stock-type plug wires and plugs.  this one also
has the 727 with aux cooler, 3.73 gears (open diff), and 31" tires.  here's
the kicker: it regularly got 14mpg in the city with stop and go traffic, and
16 out on the open road doing about 65 or so.  it spent most of its life
with me (while it still ran) doing a 75-mile round trip daily commute.  i
don't know what was so special about this truck, but it ran the best of any
IH i've ever owned or driven.

we won't get into the atrocious fuel consumption of my B while i was
severely abusing the poor beast.  +)

the usual grain of salt disclaimer applies.

--Mac

[1] i do not have the lineset for the 800A so i don't know if the tow setup
is original or not, or what else is or is not original.  the engine
certainly isn't, as it originally came with a 304.  the tranny, 3.73 D30/D44
axles, and diffs appear to be the originals, as is i believe the tire size.
however, i have no evidence to confirm or deny any of this.

[2] we have the lineset for the 1110, which lists the tow package, air con,
tranny cooler, axles, gears, etc.  this one has had the factory original
Trac-lok 3.73 D44s swapped for the 4.10 D44/D60 combo out of a 1210.  very
little about this truck is original except the body and interior.

[3] we also have the lineset for the 1010, and *everything* currently on the
truck is what the lineset shows, including the tow package, front and rear
anti-sway bars, heavy duty front (but NOT heavy duty rear) springs, heavy
duty shocks, 31" tires, engine and transmission, emissions equipment, etc.
there is no evidence that any component has been tampered with; everything
appears to be the way it should be, in accordance with the lineset.  except
the paint...  somebody painted it tan over the original colour.

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/