[ihc] Now I Can Drive Past The Police Station At Night!

Not that I fear or disrespect Coweta or Tulsa's finest anyhow, but... I
confess I did flinch a bit every time I saw one at night (with only one
running light in back).

Got to the bottom of a few quirky electrical spooks on the Scout this
afternoon. Nothing earth shattering. In a nutshell, EVERYTHING now works
except no back-up lights -- possibly disconnected at the tranny or
something.  Haven't really looked in-depth yet.  The pass side rear running
light problem was caused by an open on the brown wire of the tail light
(side) of the harness connector.  It wasn't obvious, it was hanging together
by some insulation. Only on very close examination could you see a little
green powdery oxidation (copper). It broke exactly where the wire enters the
connector. For now, I've by-passed the connector until I can replace it. As
they say regarding many things electrical: "Nothing is as permanent as a
temporary solution". Needless to say, I prepared the connection as if it
were permanent, but I hope it's not!  What fixed the brake lights? I'm not
dead sure. In the course of troubleshooting stuff, I found a blown fuse (but
can no longer read what it was for - the silk-screening or whatever has long
since be scratched off). I pulled and RE-cleaned every connector. All bulb
sockets. All bulbs.  Many of the plugs appeared to have been well sprayed
with paint from the DPO. All things considered, I'm eternally grateful none
of this involved the steering column.

To do: Back-up light.
	 All side markers are currently out.
	 Maybe fix the emerg flasher switch/button, so I don't have to use
needle-nose pliers to turn 'em on if I need 'em.

John: Around here (OK) we like Ramsey Winch (betcha can you guess why...
Where are they manufactured?! %^)). But I certainly *DO* respect Warn!  I'd
settle for either one. I'll have to check around and see if I can find a
side-by-side comparison of the two brands.  I doubt one is clearly head and
shoulders better than the other. Likely one exceeds the other in one spec or
another, and come out more or less equal overall. I could be wrong and oft
am. Probably over the years, Petersen's "4 Wheel & Offroad" has probably had
such a write up. Ah well, I don't have the ca$h for one anyhow. Me? I'm
married but winchless...

Enjoy what's left of the weekend...

--Pete

     .===============.
   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]  \_/        [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/scout