Re: [ihc] Outfitting my shop

Lots of ideas and opinions so far, I can't say that any of them are wrong if
they work, but I know that some of the things that have been said I wouldn't
do (because I have in the past and they've given me problems).

I will tell you what I did and what works for me.

First of all, I prefer an upright style compressor.  I think it acts like a
natural condenser that allows the water to settle and is more completely
drained.  Out of the compressor, I use an AquaChek air drying filter.  You
can read all about it here
http://www.aquachekfilters.com/products/installation.asp  The seem to work
very well and last quite a while before they need changing.  I use the model
ACK20 and I think the unit cost me about $75 with replacement elements
costing about $25 or so.  Elements last me about 6 months.

For piping, I used 1 1/4" Schd 80 PVC plastic pipe for the perimeter and 1"
for the drops.  You probably won't find this in hardware stores.  We have a
bunch of oilfield supply stores in our location and it's common there.  I
won't use black pipe as it will rust over time.  I won't use galvanized or
copper as either of them will corrode (but not rust) and flake off into the
air system.  Schedule 40 is not heavy enough if you're going to use larger
than 1" lines and more than 125 psi in your lines.

From the filter, which is mounted just off the compressor, go straight up
higher than you'll be anywhere else in the shop.  From that point on, run
the piping around the perimeter of the shop sloping it DOWN (away from the
compressor) at something around 1/2 bubble on a level.  At every drop, you
put in a T and drop to your working height.  T in there with whatever you
need for your air reel or coupling, and on the bottom of the T keep going
down at least 12" and put in a ball valve that will allow you to drain the
water off.

You can NOT keep water out of your piping so you have to control it.  What
you're trying to do is get it to run downhill to the first drop so that
everything behind that to the compressor is dry.  When you're doing
something moisture critical (plasma cutting, blast cabinet, painting, etc)
you can quickly blow off the tiny amount of water in the lines and then go
to work.  For anything but painting, I haven't found a need for any other
filters for any of my uses.

1 1/4" is more than sufficient for anything other than a large tire repair
facility on runs up to about 200'.  It will move more air than most
compressor outlets can deliver.  Take your time and do it right, you won't
regret it.  I just built an entirely new 60' X 60' shop back in '01 and I'm
very happy with my air system so far.  We do drain the compressor
religiously once a month.

John Stricker