RE: [ihc] Carb help needed

## >> Dave, Mac may have the info you need. It sounds like he did
## >> some serious
## >> investigation on the setup, so he can probably point you in the right
## >> direction. If you are as happy as the other guys that have
## >> done the Weber,
## >> you'll be happy indeed. If not, I hope I don't move onto your
## >> mail route
## >> <g>.
## >> Dennis

first thing i did was talk to a couple Digesters who had made the swap, to
find out which Weber kit to buy for my 152.  there are about eight or ten
different Weber 2-barrel carbs in this particular line, and they all will
fit our application, but not all of them will work best or even properly for
what we want here.  so the first thing to do is find out which Weber is
appropriate to your application.

then, after i'd determined which Weber i needed, i went to the Summit Racing
website and browsed their Weber selection till i found the carb kit that
would work for me.  that was the hardest part, because by the time i got to
the Summit site, i'd forgotten part of the ID number for the Weber kit i
needed...  and so there were like four that were all similar and only
different in the ID by like one letter or something.  it was around this
point that i put this project on hold, and then of course we traded out the
Scout.  <sigh>

so the best advice i can offer is to ask around amongst AMC inline six
owners and see if anybody has done the conversion, and then get the kit they
used.  that's the safest bet, i think.  the best Weber 2-barrel for a 152
may not be the best one for a 196, and the Weber for a 196 may not be the
best choice for your 258.  ask somebody that's done it, and then follow
their lead.

or...  ask Summit which of their Weber kits is right for your engine and
application.  the guys at Summit are VERY helpful, and most of them are
quite knowledgeable in a wide range of applications for their products.  ask
them, they will probably be able to help you right away.  an e-mail, or a
phone call, and you're on your way.  and, if you ask them, then you can ask
around and see if anybody else has the kit Summit recommends, and if so, see
how well that kit worked for others to determine if it's what you want.

i know, i know, i'm not much help this time.  sorry about that.

--Mac

the saddest part of all of this is that now i want to install a custom
intake on our 800A...  one with eight individual carb runners so i can mount
eight Weber progressive 2-barrels...  <wicked grin>  it would probably run
like crap most of the time but it would sure be fun to tinker with.  or
frustrating.  heck of a project, though.  +)

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/