Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:18:40 -0700
From: Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Torque Convertor and damaged pump?

Matt,
      It is of extreme importance that the keying be matched when you
install a torque convertor into a trans.  Especially the 727, if you damage
the front pump drive, you can arrive at a non functioning trans when fully
assembled.  The torque convertor should be at least half full when you put
it on, but it should pump up fairly quickly when you start the engine and
run through the gears in a no-load situation.  The IH service manual IIRC
has a treatise on this topic.  Did your convertor have a drain?  DId you
drain it before or is this a new empty convertor, or was it still full from
when you removed it?  It'll be about 5-10 lbs heavier if it's still full.
They usally have -some- fludi on them to keeps then internals lubricated,
but not enough to run the truck on.

If you started up the truck and drove somewhere on an only partially filled
Torque Convertor, it may already be damaged.

If you damaged the front pump on assembly then the convertor won't fill and
you're driving it dry and it should shift funny if at all.  If it shifts,
it's got *some* fluid.  How much?  Have to see the truck.

JoelB