[ihc] Parking brake question

I've got a problem and need some advice.  (Heard that before from me,
huh?)
'74 RHD with AMC258 and TF727.

The parking brake on my Scout doesn't work.  I had the TSM rear disc
conversion done and, after some fine tuning, my mechanic is sure the
calipers are working fine -- the problem is with the cable.  The design
of the cable is such that is won't fully activate the locking caliper.
The caliper will lock if you manually use the lever on the brake.

Now, my knowledge is, to put it mildly, limited.  But, apparently
something on the cable is blocking the lever from engaging.  I'm unsure
of what exactly as he descibed it to me about 4 hours ago.  Hopefully he
can put it on the lift tomorrow and show me.  I seem to recall the PO
telling me that he shortened the cable to "make it work" but it hasn't
helped.

Anyways, has anybody here done this conversion and know what I need to
get everything working optimally?  The mechanic seems to think replacing
the cable might be the way to go, but replace it with what?

Any ideas?  Anything unclear?  (I plan on e-mailing TSM, but with this
being the weekend, I anticipate they'll be closed.  I can ask on Sunday
without an undue delay in response time.  Making the message as clear as
possible can only help the situation.)

Dave