RE: [ihc] Slight lift to older Travelall

## >> Yeah, I'm starting to think so too, Mac. I sometimes suffer
## >> from needless
## >> "capacity anxiety"...

oh boy.  you don't gotta tell me twice.  when the brake drums on my 1960
B122 wore out for the third time in less than a year, my solution was in
this very vein.  "bigger is better!"  "more power!"  <grunt grunt grunt>

what i did was steal the dually axle and springs from a 1966 1500A (the
heaviest truck in the Light Line) for my B122.  serious overkill.  i will
*never* use that axle to its full potential, or even come close.  the bottom
will fall out of the bed first.  but it made me feel better having it, and
it was a fun project anyway.  my dad still looks at me funny and shakes his
head over this one.  +)  did i mention that technically it's still *his*
truck?  <wicked grin>

'course, he looked the same way at me when i dumped the Black Diamond inline
six for an SV304.  bigger is better, remember?  now it's got a 345 waiting
to go in, just haven't been able to get it done.  i have a 392 block that
needs rebuilding, and that's what i REALLY want...  but i don't have the
funds or the time to devote to something like that.

both of my '72 TravelAlls and my '70 800A Scout each have a 392 in them.  it
would be kind of cool to have the same engine all the way around.  would
simplify my spare parts inventory and so on.  pipe dreams, pipe dreams.

## >> That is definitely also on my wish list. After liberating my
## >> truck from CA,
## >> I pulled the air pump and all of the related components like
## >> the tubes that
## >> made changing plugs a major feat of contortion with 4 separate adapter
## >> setups... Anyway, so now I have space freed up for a steering
## >> pump. No doubt
## >> I'll have more dumb questions for the list when I get around to that
## >> project.       -John A.

that's what the PPO did with our 800A when he dropped the 392 in it.  yanked
all the AIR stuff, plugged the holes, swapped the original intake for the
spreadbore ThermoQuad-equipped manifold from a 345, blocked off the EGR port
(the original manifold did not have EGR), and stripped it of everything
except the alternator.  working on that one is very simple, if you don't
mind the tight confines on each side in that Scout engine compartment.

i'm not sure what to tell you about power steering for yours.  only my two
TravelAlls have it, but both of them still have all the emissions crap still
installed and working.  the pumps are in the same place, and if i am
remembering correctly belt tension for the power steering is by adjusting
the AIR pump.  if you don't have that, i don't know how the adjustment and
all that works.  but you can bet at least one person here on the Digest will
know how to do what you want to do.

good luck.

--Mac

Wassail!