RE: [ihc] Slight lift to older Travelall

I think I will get the lift kit for the front first, see how much actual
lift I get, then get the appropriate block for the rear. Not that I don't
trust your math (4" chevy kit = 2" TA lift), but I'll verify it first.

> The 2wd trucks used a longer spring, which is what the second mount is
> for.  It just happens that the 2wd springs are within 1/2" or so in
> length from the can't-turn-around-with-out-falling-on-one 73-87 Chevy
> trucks.

Yep. I certainly don't see any kits advertised for 60s IH trucks... Are the
Chevy kits longer or shorter than the 2wd IH springs?

> Chevy lift kits are CHEAP, and you can get 'em up to 12" if you really
> wanted to. :D
>
> In the rear, you can just go with the different lift blocks without a
> lot of bad side effects (go too tall on the lift blocks, and you may get
> more rear axle wheel hop)

No, I'm being a minimalist here. I won't go very high.

> I don't believe in "Improving" pinion angle.  The pinion angle should
> always be either "equal and opposite" from the transfer case yoke, or
> pointed right at the t'case yoke (in the case of a CV style driveshaft
> like all Broncos used).
>
> "Relieving" the pinion angle (making the pinion point up a bit  from
> "level") is NOT "improving" it.  It's making it out of phase with the
> transfer case output, and will lead to vibrations.  Note that the angle
> *is* less, and it won't "break" from too much angularity (while pointing
> the pinion towards the dirt will likely exceed the operational
> angularity and start breaking stuff - the zerk fittings tear off first,
> in my experience), but it will vibrate (whether you notice it or not, I
> can't say).

So when you drop the axle straight "down" (relative to drive line), you're
keeping both the pinion and T/C yoke angles in the same relation to each
other. As opposed to lowering the spring eye only at one end of the spring
pack. I begin to see why the lengthened shackle method is perhaps a BAD
THING (whether it's possible to execute on a given rig or not). I'm glad I
started asking questions here. Learning stuff (particularly before spending
money and/or breaking things) is a GOOD THING.

> I'm using "compression" to mean that the spring sits below the shackle
> mount.  With weight on it, the spring is trying to "shorten" the shackle
> and compress it up into the frame.

Is the Chevy lift kit's ability to "lift", solely in it's increased arc? Or
is it also made to be a taller stack? If I get a half ton kit, and move the
shackles rearward, how much different do you think ride quality will be?

> On the subject of axles... I think the easiest to find and swap in, will
> be a 73-77 Chevy 6-lug front end from a 1/2T pickup or Blazer or
> Suburban.  You can buy some F150 hubs and rotors rather inexpensively
> and swap them onto the Chevy Dana 44 to get 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern with
> disc brakes.
>
> The Chevy front end should easily slide under the front of your
> Travelall.  A Custom draglink, new brake lines, a new mastercylinder
> (for disc brakes) and proportioning valve, and away you go.
>
> Far easier to find than a 73 open knuckle drum, or 74-75 disc front end
> from an IH.
>
> You could also swap an 8-lug Chevy front end under if that's what you
> wanted.  I'm putting a Chevy 8-lug front under my '74 100 4x4, along
> with a Dana 60 rear from a 200 4x4 I parted out.  I'm putting a Dodge
> Dana 60 under the front of my crewcab.

For now, I'm going to go with your shifted shackle / Chevy kit / taller
block idea, Tom. I thank you sincerely for the suggestion and all of the
information you've posted.  -John A.

---