Re: [ihc] help needed rebuilding front axle - diff removal - getting long

A complete front diff overhaul kit should be a good bit under $200, but probably a little more than $150, with new pinion bearings, carrier bearings, and seals/gaskets.

You can get balljoints for $20-$40 each (depending on brand/quality/HD) and you'll need 4. Wheel bearings, if you decide to swap those out, too, are not cheap either.. just the wheel bearing seal on the backside of the wheel hub assembly is about $10 per side (one for the RF, one for the LF) just so you can pull the wheel bearings out to clean and repack.

David Nedved wrote:

I guess I should just look at it as good experience.  I'm trying to
build the truck up more anyway, and since I know I don't want 3.08
gears with open diffs any longer than necessary, I know I'll either
have the axle open several more times in the future, or end up buying a
different axle.  I know that there's still the pinion side I've
ignored, the universal joints, and the ball joints.  It cost me $150
just for the seals and bearings I orderred... must be another $150 at
least to get the parts I missed the first time.  And that's just the
front axle :(
I think I'm going to stop worrying about it and just get it back
together ASAP with the new bearings and seals.

Thanks for the help!