RE: [ihc] Slight lift to older Travelall

At 8:09 PM -0700 11/26/03, John M. Adams wrote:
John, Your help is appreciated, whether I get better help later or
not. But I'll just comment on the narrow tire concept. I don't have
as much direct experience as you. I've just heard more than one old
timer say that for many types of conditions, especially ice, the
narrow tire is best. I never really took it to heart until I heard
Dr. Bill Wattenberg (out in CA) explain why. He said that it was due
to the increased PSI in the footprint of the tire. If you have the
same weight sitting on a smaller space, you get more force/traction
exerted there. I imagine there is a point of diminishing returns in
the formula somewhere (I wouldn't put bicycle tires on my rig, for
instance), but given the choice between a 10 to 12 inch tire and an
8 to 9 inch, I'll take the narrower profile. Enough experienced
drivers have told me so, and it just makes sense to me.
Thanks, -John A.
John,

Then too, the narrow tire tends to go down and find some traction, whereas the wide tires tend to sit on the top and spin. True for both mud and snow. The wide tires are, in my opinion, only best in sand.

Having said that, one wonders why I bought BFG Mud Terrains for my Scout. They looked pretty impressive until I tore off a bunch of the lugs rock climbing in Utah and Death Valley. Oh, the things we do in the name of looking good to the "guys".

John
--
John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs