Re: [ihc] IH Garands

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "ihc-digest"
<ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 11:21
Subject: Re: [ihc] IH Garands

> At 1:12 AM -0600 11/14/03, Ryan Moore wrote:
<snip>

> Well, my young friend, the figures that I quoted you were straight
> out of the Blue Book of Firearms, but if you run across a Winchester
> made M 1, I'll do you a favor and trade my IH straight across.
>
> Bill T. and I paid $600 a piece for the two we bought, and we didn't
> get any great deal.
>
> John
<snip>

My figures where just from a gun collector friend who said he could check
with some sources if I really wanted an M1... I'm sure he was trying to
exaggerate to get more money for... oh wait, he wouldn't be getting any.
Anyway, he told me that he could get me a Springfield Garand for $400 or
$500 in good working condition, but that he'd be surprised if he could find
an IH for less than $800 and would expect closer to $1200.  Which fits along
nicely with all the ones I've ever seen for sale, unfortunately.   I could
care less what a book says they are worth if the book's value has nothing to
do with what they go for in real life.  Lets say, hypothetically, that to a
"normal person" the IHC garand is worth $500... if collectors never let the
guns sell for less than $1200 than it doesn't really matter what a "normal
person" would pay, since the collectors are the ones doing the buying and
setting the real world value.  It's like the Shawnee scout... can a book
place a value on it?  Probobly.  Is it right?  Probobly not, since the value
will be whatever someone is willing to pay for it, since it's the only one.
Find me an IH M1 that isn't going for very much at all and I will happily
admit defeat and try to buy it.  :)

-Ryan