RE: [ihc] 13" clutches ...I think it is possible

At 8:27 PM -0600 11/9/03, Dennis Bernth wrote:
The stuff Steve is talking about is probably the synthetic manual trans lube
that the over the road trucks use. It's considered a 500,000 drain interval in
OTR, and lifetime fill for light duty. For what you're driving, you might just
take Mac's tip on the Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic motor oil. More than one person
has run that in IH manual trannies and transfer cases and been impressed with
how much better the old gearboxes work with it in there. You need to make sure
all of the old GL-5 type gear lube is gone first though; an easy way might be
to drain and refill with some regular old dino 15w-40 diesel oil, run it a
couple thousand miles, drain, then do the Mobil 1 thing.

--
I agree with Dennis in that you couldn't do much better than the Mobil 1 15-50 motor oil in your manual tranny.

It was Eldon McFarling of diesel engine fame that finally convinced many of us that the old Manuals weren't gospel when they specified gear oil in the trannies, and I maybe I've been the strongest pusher of the Mobil 1 as a very good choice for that application, but regardless of my prejudices in lubrication, believe me when I say that you will be very happy with that choice.

In regard to a lifetime fill, I'd be perfectly happy to leave the Mobil 1 in there for the life of the vehicle.

So that I avoid being found out as a hypocrite one of these days, let me confess, I use Amsoil lubricants in all the running gear on my Dodge diesel. Very expensive, but they give me a lot of confidence. I don't recommend the Amsoil to others. If asked, I suggest they use Mobil's synthetics as I do in my Scout.

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs