From: Ryan Moore [mailto:baradium@domain.elided]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 6:23 AM
To: John M. Adams; ihc@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] Different Axle Widths on T'All

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 12:31
Subject: [ihc] Different Axle Widths on T'All

> Here's a question I posted on BB with no takers yet, thought I'd try it
here
> as well:
>
> On my 67 Travelall, with stock Dana 44s front and back, there's a
difference
> in the drum to drum dimension. The front is wider than the rear by about 4
> inches (haven't measured lately, but that's my best recollection from when
> did). So the front tires stick out 2" (+/-) further than the rears from
the
> wheel wells. I'd like them to be the same. Can anyone see a problem with
me
> doing one of the following: 1. running wheels with a different center
offset
> front and back, or 2. installing a spacer (and longer studs) between the
> rear wheels and drums to equalize the width. Or is there a good reason to
> leave the tread to tread footprint alone? (Why was it built this way?)
> Thanks for any thoughts on this... -John

It's supposed to be like that...   running a difference center offset (or
spacer) can be a little bit harder on your bearings.... the tread footprint
like that gives you a better turning radius than if they were the same
width.   If you look at the old f@rd longbeds the difference is extreme, for
the same reason...

-Ryan
---