RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

## >> More confusion here, mac.
## >>
## >> I think you have one of the later RA15's, with the eight lug
## >> hubs ('69 and
## >> later.)
## >>
## >> My understanding is that the RA20's came with five on eight
## >> lugs for Budd
## >> five hole wheels.
## >>
## >> Greg

i don't have an RA20, i've never had one.  the RA15 in my B122 had 14"
brakes and 6 on seven and a quarter lug pattern.  the new axle has 15"
brakes and also still has the 6 on seven and a quarter lug pattern, but the
pumpkin is larger than the RA15 was...

my question has to do with a previous post you made.  lemme see if i can dig
it up.  yes, here it is:

"RA 15, RA 20, and FA 57 used the identical pumpkin. RA 15's seem to have
come in both 6 x 7.25 circle and 8 x 6.5 circle lugs. (14" brakes with the
Budd 6 lug hubs, 12" brakes with the 8 lug). I _THINK _ that the RA 20 was
pretty much the same thing, but with 5 on 8 Budd pattern hubs with 14"
brakes."

okay, according to your post, it's the later RA15 with the 12" brakes.  i
guess i didn't read it close enough.  why did they change to smaller brakes
when they went to 8 lugs?  will the 8-lug drums and backing plates fit on an
older RA15 with the six lug 14" drums and hardware?

now, bearing all of this in mind, i still want to know what i've got now.
six on seven and a quarter (normally five on eight, only seen one other of
this axle with six on seven and a quarter), fifteen inch drums, pumpkin
several inches larger than the RA15 it replaced.  B series operator's manual
shows it's an RA-30, but other later RA-30s in the hands of other Digesters
are significantly larger than what i have.  manual says it can't be an
RA-25, the listing for the 25 is larger than the listed 30.  this same
manual indicates that the FA50 and FA55 use the same pumpkin as the listed
RA30, and there is no listing for an FA57.  what gives?  what in the *heck*
do i have?

--Mac

P.S.:  did you receive the images i sent you?

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/