Re[4]: [ihc] Not a good link on the digest

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:20:55 -0700 Allan Ericson <lowvolt@domain.elided> wrote:
> I used www.digest.net/ihc. When I tried it just now, I got a the official
> home page. Somebody somewhere has learned to hijack the auto search? I don't
> know. I got a search engine called domainsearch.com or something similar. I
> figured it out by looking at what the unwanted links would have been at the
> bottom of my screen.

in the case of domainsearch.com, what _really_ happened is this.

i had a link to the old URL for the tech page on the binderbulletin. i never had a
local tech FAQ, it would have been redundant with the one on binder bulletin.

bill shifted the bulk of his binder bulletin stuff from binderbulletin.com to
binderbulletin.org a long time ago, but this link never got updated. binderbulletin.com
has since lapsed and been snapped up by a domain name speculator, and i never
spotted the fact that the link was out of date, so you got the behavior that you
recently saw.

i have corrected this link to point to binderbulletin.org since i saw the posting
on the digest earlier this evening.

it's a very long reach from "this link goes someplace i don't think is right"
to "the digest home page is hosted someplace bad". please, guys, stick
with symptoms, don't try to ascribe causes without being careful.

richard