[ihc] stall-out at warm up

Okay-  I mentioned this before, then thought I had found several other
areas/possibilities for why this happens, but after having "fixed" several of
these, the one symptom still remains.

Basically, this is a '75 Scout II XLC, 345, Auto, 2WD w/what appears to be a
stock 2 bbl holley carb.  The people from whom I bought it claim the carb is
new, but it is original type, at least.

I can start the thing-although if it is cold I can usually only do so with a
small spray of starter fluid to boost it.  Once it has started once, it
USUALLY will start agin without any starting fluid.  I have tuned it up,
changed the plugs and wires, reset the timing, set the air gap (though did not
have a feeler guage-used the old matchbook method for this time).  So though I
know this is not "textbook," the thing is running MUCH better than it was
before.  However, even when I first got it, it would hold idle for a while,
then start to die out.  At first, it appeared that this would happen when the
choke valve began to open.  However, I now have it to where it will run even
when the choke opens up a good bit.  Howev3er, without fail, after running for
a while (anywhere from about five to about fifteen minutes), it simply dies.
Usually then it won't restart without another little boost of starting fluid.
As I said, it seems to be non choke related, so I am now wondering if it might
be water in the gas.  I mentioned this possibility before, and planned to
drain the tank, but now have found out that the fuel guage does not work, and
I don't know how much gas is in the tank.  Thus, I don't want to start
draining it and not be able to catch all the fuel.  But does this sound like
it could be a dirty fuel or watery fuel issue?  Perhaps only after sucking
down a fair bit does it get to a point where it sucks water into the line?

I do plan on buying a new gap guage, but quite honestly, at this moment can't
afford it (things went from very good two weeks ago to VERY tight this
week!!!).  I am just looking for advice so that I can get this thing running
well enough to either drive or sell, depending upon what happens with my
finances!

Other options-bad/collapsing fuel line?  Bad fuel pump?

Thanks for any advice!

Michael