From: "ROCKY LEAR" <rockylear@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 2:56 PM
Subject: [ihc] OD VS staight 5th ID

> I need to positively ID the 5th gear OD tranny that is in the 71 t-all
that I am parting. I want to make sure that it is what it is before I gt too
far along. I can't drive the truck as it has some engine parts missing. It
does have the OD shift knob but when I removed the floor pan tunnel a while
ago I noticed that the shift stick shows signs of being welded on down next
to the boot, plus somone apparently didn't like the position of the shift
knob and staightened out some of the top 6 inches by heating it with a
torch. Both signs of somone monkeying around. All of the stuff on the tranny
is in the right place...backup light switch wires, speedo, etc. looks like
it have never been unhooked so I remain hopeful even though the stick has
been modified.These IH's have no tag on them...how do I determine that this
is an OD and not a direct 5th?