Re: [ihc] RPM, Gearing formula needed

Steve,
I would be very interested to see this info.  If I get time, I may search
for it too.  I have seen what you are talking about ( revs per mile), but I
assumed it was telling  me how the circumference differs from the nominal
size.   A 33 incher could be anywhere from 102 to 105 inch circumference and
still be closer to 33 than 32 or 34.  And who knows what a 265/75 R 16 is in
inches?  Hence the revs per mile number so it is easy to compare an H tire,
a 9.5 tire, a 33" tire and a 265/75 tire.
I've seen the revs per mile more often with the larger rim sizes, like 20"
and 22.5"
I just have a hard time believing that 102 inches of tread surface does not
translate into 102 inches traveled, or at least close to it.  It just seems
like tires would wear out in extremely short order if there was 6% slip.
Imagine driving 94 miles and then skidding your tires for the last 6 miles.
I can't imagine having much left of the rims!  Even driving .94 miles and
skidding the last .06, the tires wouldn't last long.  I know that isn't
realistic, so lets drive .88 miles and then slip them 50% for .12 miles and
see what we have left.  I just took a tire off my Suburban that I know had
89,000 miles on it.  Did it slip another 5000 miles or so?

If the manufacturers tell me it is so, I guess I'll believe it.  It just
seems wrong.

Ed