Re: Spam?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:49:48 -0700 (PDT) joel brodsky <travelall1974@domain.elided> wrote:

> It would appear that someone has cracked the mailing
> list to the digest.  I am guessing this by the fact
> that names from which I have received emails
> (supposedly) are people I know only through the
> digest.  So, anyone had this problem?  So far, I've
> got about 125 emails of subjects I don't recognize.
> This ought to be fun when I get back to work to clean
> up my email...

> Anyone else with hypotheses?

yes.

the current wave of viruses all have two characteristics in common:

1) they mine M$ Outhouse address books for addresses to use when they
propagate

2) they forge from: addresses, using the same address book entries
they mine for to: addresses.

so it is sufficient for someone using M$ products who also reads the digest
to get infected; the virus will then generate emails using every address in
the address book.

at 125, you're lucky. the average numbers in the anti-spam community (of
which i am a member) are running ca. 600 per day.

gack,
  richard