Moving to CA

We are planning to move to California in about 5 months. I have a 73 Scout, which has had the engine replaced with a newer one (by a couple of years I believe.) Does California check to see if the engine is correct, because as a 30 year old vehicle it shouldn't have to go through emissions (unless, like when I called they said if it has a newer engine it has to pass - but do they check to know if the engine is newer?).
Also, does California do any type of safety inspection, one time or annually?
And, if anyone has kids, do you have to use a booster seat for children over age four if you do not have shoulder belts? (Booster seats usually come with a 5 point harness, but that is only usable until the child is 40 lbs. After that a shoulder/lap belt is supposed to be used with the booster seat.) I have found info for harnesses that can be used in school buses and would work in the back seat of the Scout, but I hate to spend the money if I don't need to.

Thanks,

Cheryl