Re: Reality check

on 7/30/03 6:29 PM, John Stricker at jstricke@domain.elided wrote:

> Hofs,
>
> Well, my guess is that you're talking about "A bell for Adano", that he won
> the Pulitzer for, although I never read it.  I did read "The Wall", by
> Hersey, many years ago, although it wasn't that old a book then, seems like
> it was written in the early '50's or so.

Yep, with Hiroshima in between.

> Do I still get points for at least knowing who he is?

I'm camping here with a bunch of Kansans, Oklahomans, and Texans. According
to the Texans, it's a wonder if the Kansans know any thing at all. They told
me that the only reason that Kansans know anything is because knowledge
crept up there from Texas through loose Oklahoma borders.

Man, a lot of Texans have made some really big money. Some of their rigs are
astoundingly big and some gaudy. Of course, their complexions tend to be
Sulfuric Acid green just like I remember the air in the ship canal.

No offense to anyone from those states, just kidding around. After all I
have been married for a long long time to a descendent of the Joads in the
Grapes of Wrath.

John Hofstetter