Re: Body Damage

---OK, I can understand your not wanting to use a slide hammer, they are
fine for dents where the metal has not been creased. Dent pullers are what
is needed here. Think of it this way, there are two parts to a dent, there
is the part that is dented, and there is the part where the other metal has
moved to.

---This is what you do. Pick up a set of good grade "pull rod" dent pullers
with T-handles. Here is a pic to give you an idea of what they look like, so
you can get the idea of how they work, as I explain how to pull the dent
http://www.tptools.com/eccStoreFront/tip/product_images/medium/GR-21182.jpg
. Find the weakest point of the dent (the part that acts most like the
pop-up safety seal [clicker] from a bottle top) and follow it until it feels
stronger. Drill a 1/8" hole, just big enough for both pullers to be
inserted, insert the tips of the dent pullers, turn the pointed ends away
from each other and place both T-handles in one hand. While pulling firmly
on the dent, have someone tap the point of the dent on the side that is
sticking out, using a hammer and a flat piece of 2x4 or 4x4... maybe even
the inside of the tailgate from what I can see. This is what you do to
prevent stretching the metal and making the dent worse than it is. The metal
will want to go back to its natural stamped form... unless you stretch the
metal in the crease that is present (or seems to be from my view) in the
center, below the upper seam.

---They also make the suction cups for pulling dents like Ryan suggested, a
single cup with a handle that you stick over the dented area
http://www.mytoolstore.com/woods/special.html ,
http://www.topoftheline.com/noname35.html
http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/55/54519/suction_dent_puller.jpg (found
here http://www.bidoutlet.net/cgi-bin/auct/item.pl?item=32230 )or
http://www.topoftheline.com/thansuccup.html . If you choose one of these,
then than you won't have to drill holes. You'll still need someone to hammer
the protruding portion of the dent (hammer and 2x4 or 4x4) while you pull.

---A lot of tools for auto body repair can be found here
http://www.tptools.com/prod_list_display.asp?dept_id=L2~171&dept_name_p=Auto+Body+Repair

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)