Re: Power Steering Pump

---Been watching this and think it is about time I add my $0.02. There are
two different types of power steering pumps used on the Scout II that I know
of. More is different than the pressure they produce. However much pressure
the pump produces, it should never exceed 1200psi. Anyhow, the most obvious
difference in the two types is that one has two bearings on the shaft and
the other has one. The one with the two bearings is the older style and has
a bearing by the pulley and a bearing by the back of the pump to support the
rear of the shaft. The newer style looks like the basic GM power steering
pump used on the `78 Impala, Caprice, etc. w/350. I have been told that the
327 Chitvies from `64-`69 have the pump that is more rounded in shape
whereas the one that is most likely on your Scout is more tear drop in
shape. The one with the two bearings (the older style AFAIK like on the 327)
can handle put out more pressure. This is the one with the rounded body. We
used one as the hydraulic pump of a snow plow that my friend's father had in
his `64 Scout. I replaced two brand new power steering pumps for him before
we installed the older styled one. The older styled one lasted three years
of some of the worst Northern Michigan snowstorms without so much as
squealing once. The only reason tests didn't continue is, the Scout was
parked and never looked at again after the death of his son.

---I will try to find more info on the pumps and where to find them. The
rounded style requires an adapter for the pump end of the high pressure
line... unless someone knows of a line that will work. Other than that the
pumps are a bolt on replacement as long as the studs are in the same
location as on your pump.

---I have on of the round-bodied pumps in my shed, today I just might have
time to get into the shed and take inventory, check for window regulators,
motor mount brackets and list what is for sale in parts. Anything else?

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)