Power Steering Pump

> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:34:55 -0500
> From: "Urvig, Chad A" <chad.urvig@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: Power Steering Pump (was: Re: Things Travelall/392 (Was:
Things Binder))

> What vehicles use a bigger pump that will bolt up to an IH engine?  I
> think I need a new pump (and steering sector).  I think my front locker
> & 33's cut short the lifespan of my steering sector & pump.  I had
> severe overheating problems trail riding over Memorial weekend.  The
> steering sector didn't quite 'feel' right before the trip and I think
> the overheating hurt the pump (it whines a lot now).  I'm in the process
> of adding hydraboost brakes so I'd like to have a better pump.  I might
> have to consider adding hydraulic ram-assist steering & a cooler.
>
> Chad Urvig
> '73 Scout II
>
> >From: "Allan Ericson" <lowvolt@domain.elided>
> >Subject: Re: Things Travelall/392  (Was: Things Binder)
> >
> >Pete-
> >
> >For this application, a pump is a pump is a pump. Anything in the ball
> park that will bolt up will work. PS pumps used in
> >chevy and dodge pickups, for example, only look different. The amount
> of volume they can produce is about the same.
> >
> >You can use a bigger pump. You can use a transmission cooler to cool
> the fluid.

Allan, Not so.  :)

1st, PS pumps are not the same. One quick look at a part number/spec book
will tell you that. They have different output pressures for different
applications for one thing.

Next, you can't just run any pump if you are going hydroboost. The HB PSP
has an extra fitting on the case for the return line. Some guys just try to
splice into the PS box return line, but about half of them get feedback in
the steering when they hit the brakes.

An additional cooler is a good idea, but isn't going to fix your problem.
Lots of guys run 33's and larger without coolers and don't burn up pumps. I
ran 35's on a daily driver full size Chevy PU for 8 years with the factory
pump. If you do add a cooler just make sure it mounted where it gets some
air flow or use a dedicated fan.

So anyway, there's an easy fix for your problem. Just pickup a Cadillac
pump. These are set up to let you turn the tires on a heavy (5500lb) vehicle
with one finger.

If you still aren't satisfied with the steering effort just remove the
pressure valve from the back of the pump and shim the spring with a very
thin washer. This will boost your pressure big time. Be warned - make sure
you have good hoses. You don't want to have a fire.

Just to be safe I would also recommend jacking up the axle and making sure
nothing is binding. Ball joints, etc.

Darrel