Re: Trailer scare

----- Original Message -----
From: "joel brodsky" <travelall1974@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 6:55 PM
Subject: Trailer scare

> --okay, Traveler with trailer brakes, Traveler on the
> trailer.  Trailer is about #2k.
>
> @55mph starts waving around side to side.  Truck is
> held to trailer with chains and ratchet tie downs (the
> real big kind for autos...).  So, too much tongue
> weight, too little, crosswind?  what?  It did this
> about 3 years ago when I tried it then, and I never
> figured it out that time either.  That time was a
> Scout II on the trailer towing with a Travelall.
>
> Please let me know, I have to drive 400 miles with it
> tomorrow!
>
> Joel
Joel, I've experienced the problem of trailer wagging the tower, on a pickup
and a motorcycle towing a tent trailer.  Especially on the Mcy., the best
quick fix was to add tongue weight

There are a few quick fixes,

1. full inflation on rear tires of the tow rig
2. make the trailer tounge heavier
3. longer trailer tongue - this takes more time
4. full inflation on trailer tires

Do the anti sway, easy lift, like John H suggested - takes longer

Cheers, ( from one that stopped traffic on all four lane of the original
Lake Washington floating bridge with a severe trailer sway) Jim A.  About
1965?