Re: Mac's Starter (another long one)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac @ TRIAD" <mac@domain.elided>
To: "Allan Ericson" <lowvolt@domain.elided>
Cc: "IHC Digest" <IHC-Digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 17:25
Subject: RE: Mac's Starter (another long one)

<snip>

> i have another question, though.  better cooling package?  the 800A has a
> 392IC in it now, with a T18 4-speed.  the radiator it has in it seems more
> than adequate to our needs (at least thus far), the engine rarely gets
more
> than warm (certainly not as warm as the 392IC in the TravelAlls gets) and
> even after an all-day stint of non-stop stop-and-go city driving in either
> California or Texas summer heat, doesn't get above 190 degrees.  does it
> need better cooling?  if so, what's the best way to work that out?

Mac, I think you pretty well answered your own question when you said it
doesn't get too hot.  Just my humble opinion....

<snip>
> major agreement here.  when we first got the 800A, i kept two regulators
and
> a spare alternator in it, especially after it blew up the battery.  i
don't
> think i need a Mean Green alternator, i'm well content with the
alternators
> i've got, and carrying a spare of those is relatively cheap.  if i really
> wanted to go nuts, i've got a Leece-Neville 24-volt alternator (or maybe
> generator?  i didn't check when i grabbed it) sitting in the bed of my
B122
> under the camper shell that i "creatively acqured" from the enormous
Detroit
> Diesel left over after a neighbour gutted one of their big big big
scrapers.
> basically they cut the body off with torches around the engine and then
left
> the engine and transmission portion sitting there.  nobody ever said why
> they gutted it.  but they let me have the alternator (generator?) from
that
> engine.  i never did figure out how to properly mount it on an SV engine,
> unfortunately.  it was too big and i couldn't close the hood around it if
> put it where the generator in my B122 sat, above and to the right of the
> right cylinder bank on the 304.  if i'd kept the BD220 in there, i think
it
> would have fit nicely off to the side in the stock position.  i'd have had
> to fab up some really heavy duty mounts for it, i think the thing weighs
> 40lbs or something.  it's HEAVY.

I saw on the BB a while ago where someone rigged up a PTO generator for
thier scout.  They didn't use a normal pto, just the rear output out of the
t-case with a pulley on it running to a generator sitting where the
passenger seat normally is.  Anyways, what about a PTO and then finding a
better place to mount it?

> ## >> As Jim Lidberg posted earlier, Checker lists a starter shield
> ## >> for 6 bucks.
> ## >> Go to the local checker and ask to see one. Maybe it will
> ## >> fit. Maybe it will
> ## >> BEND to fit. Maybe you will look at it and say, "oh, no,
> ## >> that's that thing
> ## >> I've been using to keep the hamster cage closed."
>
> i'm going to look at those heat shields when i pick up the new starter.
if
> they look good, i'll get at least one, probably two, maybe three.  if
> they're that inexpensive and they seem okay, why not get three?  then step
> over and get some of that cerama-cote or whatever it is...  and i should
be
> good to go.  maybe i'll get a starter in the TravelAll that lasts longer
> than a year.  and as for the Checker heat shield...  even if it's thin and
> not great, it's still better than the nothing i have now, and if it fits
or
> can be made to fit, then it could serve as a good template to make my own.
> i'll be finding out, anyway.
>
> --Mac

If you have all these heat shields, are you going to *need* to make your
own?

-Ryan