RE: Introduction and PTO winch question

## >> Welcome, I'm in Healdsburg with my wife and 2 kids. I believe
## >> the PTO adapter
## >> usually attaches to the transmission. Our B160 dump truck is
## >> setup this way.
## >> All the manual transmissions I have seen have 1 or 2
## >> removable plates on the
## >> side to mount the PTO.

hiya, Tom.  Mac here, originally from Tollhouse, CA but now in Hel Paso, TX.

for the B series, the PTOs definitely mounted either to the transmission, or
on some of the larger models, to the bellhousing, though i've never seen
this and am unsure how it was achieved.  my own B122 4x2 originally had two
PTO gearboxes and one engine-mounted hydraulic pump on it before it came to
us to drive the various equipment the railroad had it mounted with.  they
removed all of that before they sold it, but i saw some pictures.
impressive.

for Scouts and later (D series?  i am unsure about the C to C models 1961 to
1968) Light lines, i'm pretty certain that the standard PTO mount goes on
the transfer case.  our 1972 TravelAll 1110 4x4 has a Dana PTO drivebox,
it's mounted to the NP205 transfer case with a long articulated driveshaft
to the front bumper.  of course, this truck has an automatic tranny which
doesn't have PTO ports.  i've seen pictures of Scout 800s and Scout
IIs--both auto and manual transmission--with a similar Dana PTO drivebox
mounted to the Dana 20 and Dana 18 transfer cases as well, and a number of
other Light Lines with non-Dana driveboxes mounted to their NP transfer
cases.  i don't think the T-90 3-speed transmission in our '67/'68 Scout 800
has a PTO port, but the twinstick transfer case (dunno if it's a D18 or D20)
certainly does.  our '70 800A has PTO ports both on the T-18 transmission
and on the D20 transfer case.

my nickel.
--Mac

Wassail!