RE: local hero returns safely from the wars...

## >> So happy to hear your sweetie has safely returned. However I
## >> don't believe
## >> restoring your backup was the only thing you were doing that
## >> caused this info
## >> to be late ;~)

thank you.  it's nice to have her home, though it means i lose the use of
the TravelAll again.  once i get it back on the street.  <grin>

oddly enough, restoring this POS machine really is pretty much the only
thing i've been doing.  other than planning for this trip to disneyland,
there just hasn't been anything else going on.  i've been working with Becca
to help her recover from the deployment and the evil mean bad nasty things
that she endured, but...  i suspect that what *I* mean when i say that and
what other people may think are likely not the same thing.

but hey, everybody's free to fantasize.  gods know *I* have been (hopeless
though i know it to be).  +)

now on to more serious things...  yup, the starter from the TravelAll is
toast.  i pulled it out this morning after Ashke's neurology appointment (we
drove the topless 800A, WHEEEE!!).  cracked that bad boy open, and sure
enough, it's ooie gooie kablooie inside.  one of the copper contacts mounted
at the top of the stator came out, and the resulting gap chewed up all four
brushes.  not good.  called the local Checker, they don't have in stock but
can order a lifetime warranty starter for $49.95 plus tax and core.  couple
days delivery or so, i guess.  Joel F suggested Napa, and i'd like to go
there, but it's about half an hour away someplace in El Paso, i've no idea
where exactly, and i *DESPISE* driving in El Paso for *anything*.  the
Checker is across the bridge from the post, the very first real intersection
out the Cassidy Gate, and i can walk there if i have to.  is the quoted
Checker price pretty standard for these starters nowadays?

i called a local rebuilder and they want anywhere from $50 to $90 (depending
on what they do to it) to rebuild one of my cores.  for that, i can get one
with a lifetime warranty from Checker.  is there a better deal to be had
from another parts dealer?

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde