Correct me, Howard

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 08:54  AM, mark stegmann wrote:

Thomas,
A couple years back Ford sold their big truck line.
They are now called Sterling. I want to say Mercedes
owns it, but I might be wrong.
Sterling was in production before it acquired the Ford truck line. But Sterling was acquired by Daimler in order to help them control even more of the truck market. Daimler with its Freightliner domination of about 50% of the truck market in the US, not to mention its other truck offerings, was in a good position to make life difficult if not impossible for International and Pacar. I see a lot of fire trucks, small buses, and small school buses now with the Frieghtliner name on them.

I would guess that the California Department of Forestry is the largest purchaser of fire trucks in the US. They, for many many years, only bought Internationals, partly because they were great trucks, but also that allowed them to consolidate their maintenance and repair of the fire trucks.

Unfortunately, in my opinion and in the opinion of the CDF guys that I know, the state bowed to pressure and now gets a variety of trucks, including Freightliners.

California Highway Patrol used to use only Dodges, but now have all kinds of makes of cars. Totally irrelevant, Mark, but I felt like saying it.

John