Re: Sad t-all/scout story

Glad he is ok, too bad for the vehicles.  Sounds like he will be able to
get em back together though.

Ken

>Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:38:24 -0500 >From: "Ryan Moore" >Subject: Sad
t-all/scout story > >I saw Robert Searles yesterday. > >He has what used
to be a really nice SSII. Pretty scout running 40's. His >'70 800 SSR is
safe in CO where he's been based recently. And his travelall >is like his
SSII. Both the SSII and travelall were very clean rigs. The >travelall is
a 1210 4x4. AZ truck with no rust and used to have no body >damage. He
had just gone through it and put a fresh motor in it and redone >the
interior. > >He was towing the SSII on a trailer with the travelall
heading to CO (since >he's been based up there), so he could do some
wheeling (and then just have >his SSR here for driving I imagine) and
around kentucky (an hour or two into >the drive) he had a major accident.
He told me when I saw him that two >semis passed him at the same time,
apparently just right to suck the trailer >(a tandem axle trailer which
itself weighs 2000 lbs) and scout sideways. He >told me he hit the
trailer brakes and locked them up and tried to speed up >but it didn't
help. The trailer came around on him and he ended up rolling >the rig.
The trailer stayed with the travelall for two comeplete rotations >and
then seperated and rolled 3 more times, ending with the scout still
>attached to the trailer, upside down. The travelall also ended up upside
>down. > >I told him that it shows the scout's roll cage good quality.
Supporting >both the full weight of the scout and trailer (he said the
scout weighs >6000-7000 lbs and the trailer weighs 2000 lbs) the terra
top with internal >caged crushed a total of probobly 2 inches. Most of it
was the top coming >into contact with the cage, with the cage tweaking an
inch or so but >holding. Of course it really did some damge to the top
and windshield >frame, the passenger side made out pretty good but the
driver's side front >fender is beat up really bad with a lot of road rash
(in a couple spots it >slid down the road enough on it's side between
rollovers to eat through the >metal). The driver's rear quarter is pretty
beat up too and his toolbox in >the back of the scout is toast. He's
going to get a new top, windshield >frame, hood, and fender and put the
scout back together. The rear quarters >are going to be treated to
diamond plate over the fenders now apparently >with the rear bobbed since
it's beat up good already. It won't be able to >be as pretty as it was
before, but he'll be able to save it for trail use. > >The travelall also
faired relatively well. Considering it does not have a >roll bar, it did
excelent, the top didn't even collapse. His winshield and >rear window
glass broke but all other glass is intact. There is a lot of >damage to
the fenders, quarters, doors and top though. The trailer reciever >was
bent of course from the trailer during the accident. He has no >illusions
about the travelall and is looking for a travelall with no motor >and a
good body to use with his new drivetrain.. > >He made it out with just
minor injuries (no broken bones), which is the >important part. > >-
-Ryan