RE: ihc-digest V6 #926

Jimmy wrote:

> Ok this is the last time i will ask this question i promise.
> My old springs are shot and i'm gonna lift my 80 scout.
> The triangle spring 4" lift sounds pretty good, but i just want
> to know what comes w/ the lift kit, and what modifications have to be made
> (driveshafts, brakelines, steering linkage, etc.)
> If anyone has used this lift and could give me any tips on installation.

Do you mean 80 Scout or '80 Scout?  I've got the set on my '80 Scout - I
didn't think that *any* off-the-shelf springs were available for 80s or
800s.

I bought my springs from GUS last year.  I don't think anything came with
them.  The only thing I'd want with them would be bushings and u-bolts.  You
will probably need new front brake lines (if not because they're too short,
then because they're too old anyway!).  You'll need new shocks (I started
with KYBs, then replaced them with RS/9000s).

Then you get into the area in which personal preference, use, and perhaps
some vehicle variables determine what else you need.  I'm darned picky about
the highway ride since I do a lot of miles in my Scout.  So I ended up
getting my front axle twisted & getting a new CV driveshaft to go along with
it.  That stopped some grinding from the driveshaft angle, and the positive
caster has helped the handling.  I've still got an annoying bump steer, and
will probably eventually fix that (comtemplating the Tall/PU knuckle
replacement technique).

Offroad the springs seem fine.  They may be too stiff for some folks, but
are a fine compromise for me:  my scout handles well enough to tow a camper,
then then hit the trail when it gets to it's destination.

ken farmer
pharmer@domain.elided
1980 Scout II, 4" lift, 32" BFG, Recessed u-bolt plates, twisted front axle,
cv-joints
1974 Travelall 100, factory SO, 31" tires
1975 Travelall 150, 2WD, kinda the ferarri of travelalls...