Re: booster dilema

Russel DeArman wrote:

>  My brake booster is dying. At some point in the past
> a DPO swapped in what I thought was a dual diaphragm
> booster mated to the original type m/c.

I'm not particularly familiar with "dual" and "single" diaphram...

My ONE Scout with original p/brakes sports a booster that is round and
relatively long.

The race Scout sports the booster from Willy C, which is more of a
"pancake" looking unit.

D'oh, I haven't looked at the Travelall's booster closely yet..

I don't think it matters hugely which variety you have, so long as the
"push rod" is adjusted properly, and the m/c bolts up.

>  So, should I return the booster and swap back to the
> single diaphragm booster that, I think, originally
> came with my truck? (As I get farther into this truck
> I am finding more and more things that were swapped
> out by the PO, none that I have found so far have been
> improvements!)

Nah.  I'd use the new one and call it good.

I bought a new booster for a disc Scout II and will be using it when I
convert my '72 SII from manual drums to power discs.. so NEITHER single
or double diaphram is "stock" for that Scout! ;-)

> truck, might I anticipate problems with the stock
> booster mating correctly with the actuating lever? Any
> other problems?

Now *that* is possible.. the booster from Willy had to be adapted to the
SII mounting bolts on the firewall.  I simply re-drilled.. but that was
on the *bracket*, not the booster.  The two boosters I had (one stock
SII, one from Willy) both bolted up to both mounting brackets and both
m/c.  However, the non-stock (From WIlly) booster had some different
length "arms" on the firewall side.. which made using the bracket it
came with a much better idea than using the stock bracket (have one or
two of those around, too)

-Tom