Re: Axle shaft R&R on 1971 2wd PU

>On the way home from work recently in my 1971 1110 2wd pickup (345 v8,
>T34 5-speed) I noticed an alarming (and new) creaking and grating sound.
>Closer examination showed it was coming from the right rear wheel.
>Hoping for simple brake problems, I pulled the wheel and drum to find
>a shot bearing.

My, the per capita ownership of T-34s on this list is high.  I wish mine
would
work!  On to the problem...

Dave, an RA-28, if I am not mistaken, is a Dana 44, and you have a 3.73
geared unit with a trac-lok.  Per my service manual, you have either
a "unit bearing" style, or an "adjusting ring".  Based on the year of your
truck, I think you have the unit bearing style.  In either case, once you
pull the backing plate/retainer bolts, the manual states you just
"Pull axle shaft assembly out of housing".  Sounds easy, right?  Well,
28 years of time can make things stick.  Have you tried putting a
wheel back on the axle, and then put the nuts on backwards,
don't tighten them, and use the whole tire/wheel assy as a kind of
"slide hammer"?  I had an axle once that I had to use a 5lb slide hammer
that bolted to the end of the axle via the lug bolts, then required
hammering for around 100 times before it started to move.  I think
if you keep at it, it will come out.

As far as how you keep it in there, well, start by having a shop with a
press remove the existing bearing and replace the new one.  The new
bearing should come with a new retainer ring, never try to reuse an
old one.  I think the RA-28 is the same unit that came in Scouts, so
there should be plenty of experience with it here.  I'm more familiar
with the D60 full floater, and Ford 8/9" so someone else may
have better advice.

Don't give up, the Burchell's can prevail over stubborn axles!

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup