Re: AxleTrussing ...WhatIsIt?

alice@domain.elided wrote:

> Ummm ...what is axle trussing?  Is this a racing thing?

A racing and overly abusive thing. ;)

> less, as a stationary tomato greenhouse.  I don't think axle
> trussing would have helped me.  Mark

Well, depends on how many tomatoes..

An Axle Truss is supposed to help hold the axle housing together when
you put ua great deal of stress on it.  the housing CAN flex if you put
enough force on it.  Actually, we've theorized that housing flex is part
of the problem with the Warn full-floater kit destroying rear hubs.. the
housing was never designed to bear the full weight of the vehicle (the
axle shafts shared some of that duty in a semi-float design).. so the
housing flexes and the hubs get munched.

In my particular case, I'm trying to tie the two axle housing ends
together, in a "triangle" or sorts, so when I jump my Scout and land,
the housing doesn't turn into a nice U-shape.

I believe the UNDER axle truss design is supposed to work such that for
the housing ends to bend up, it must "stretch" the entire truss..
perhaps 2" wide by 1/2" thick steel strap, trying to elongate.. it won't
fall "flat" against the axle housing because it is run over the
differential, and there are "supports" that "web" the truss-strap to the
housing in a few points that'll work to keep the truss "up" in it's
triangle..

So either the steel strap stretches a little (which it'll do), breaks,
or the housing holds up with no bending.

I'm hoping for the latter. ;)

-Tom