Tubing body mounts

Digesters;
Last summer I replaced the entire floor of my '79 Scout II using the SSS
floor pans and my own body mounts. I made mine from 1/8" wall square tubing,
2" x 4" up front, 2" x 3" at the step, and 1"x1" where the three stringers
go under the seats. The inner rockers are made from a 'c' channel that I cut
from a 3.5" square tube. Amazingly, you can cut this stuff with a table saw
if you use one of the steel cutting abrasive wheels. I just set the fence
for 3/4" and ripped down the length. As long as I took it slow it cut with
no probIems at all. I did all the supports for under 50 bones and have a
bunch of steel left over. I went with the 1/8" wall tubing because I could
weld it easily with a stick welder, and I thought it would last longer than
the galvanized sheet metal. I am happy to report that it survived a year of
abuse and it is beefy as hell. The only real issues were that the floors are
tapered a little towards the outside so I had to taper the ends of the
tubes, and the rear body mounts took a little thought to get them just right
and match up with the floor over the transmission. Another benefit to using
the 2" tubing is that you get a 1" body lift in the process. I put 4
aluminum pucks under the remaining body mount bushings, and the doors align
perfectly. It also feels very stiff when I drive.

I etched and POR-15'd the oputsides of the tubing, but I couldn't get in the
inside. I don't know how long it would take to rust through from the inside
out. I'm considering drilling 1/8" holes in the tubes to drain moisture- any
ideas if this would hurt more than help?

I have some measured drawings I could share if anyone is interested. By far
the hardest part of the ordeal was removing the floor (a compressor and air
chisel works wonders) and the 'Oh SH**" feeling of looking down at where the
floor is supposed to be and only seeing the garage floor.

Also, it took me one weekend per side. I did the first side by hand before I
bought the air compressor. Once I figured out what I was doing, I could have
both in a single weekend.

John Staub
'79 Scout II Beefy Floor