Re: Tom's tranny Troubles...

Jason and Maria Colavecchia wrote:

> but I almost dismissed them as too inane...Anyways, I decided to voice them
> despite their apparent "Dohh" factor:

Well, if I had known "Dohh" that I didn't need to spin the TC with a
hammer n' punch, and that it wasn't assembled correctly, I would've been
racing last weekend. ;-)

>         You say the tranny is slipping, but is it really? Under significant load,
> the converter will exhibit the same kind of performance you are seeing.

I thought of that.. particularly when I couldn't push the Scout
backwards by hand.. but then I noticed I'd driven it up against the
curb. ;)

> Does the engine feel like it's under significant load when revving it up?

No, it seems to spin-up just like it does in Park or with the t'case in
Neutral.

Speaking of which - interesting that I can shift from 2Hi-4Hi-and into
4-Low without shutting it off.. sometimes it'll grind, other times I
managed to just flip right into the gear.. related? dunno.

> Do you notice the motor "wrapping" under torque, despite the slow
> performance?

Twisting on the mounts you mean?  Or laboring?  No, the motor's fine..
just wailing away at high RPM when the Scout slowly pulls away..

> -Are you sure the axle ratios are matched front to back (if you were in
> 4wd, enough difference between front and rear axle ratios might make it
> "feel" like there's a problem)

Front driveshaft isn't installed yet, but yes, they are the same.. I
bought and helped install the 4.88 gears. ;-)  I've also spun each axle
easily by hand with the housing on jack stands.

> -is the T-case ok?  (ie. did you fill it with lube?)

Filled, and I *assume* OK.. this t'case came out of the now-KIA racer.

> -are the axles themselves ok? (ie. free running)

They WERE.. but now that you mention it, I might have to jack the rear
end up and double check the brakes haven't seized or done something
"bad" lately.. they ARE pretty old (it's a '63 axle) drum brakes, that I
was unable to find new hardware for.. I did replace one wheel cylinder
(when the bleeder broke).. I'll have to pick the rear end up and rotate
by hand perhaps.

> I apologise if this stuff sounds inane or too stupid, but I want to
> contribute SOMETHING :o)

Much appreciated!  Again, if I'd known enough that it was "three clunks"
not 2 to get the TC to seat, and if I had READ THE FINE MANUAL where it
says, "1/2inch of clearance" I wouldn't be having these problems right
now. ;-)

Ken's slippage problem is a nice idea, but mine lasted well beyond 30
seconds..

I'm wondering if perhaps the TC and pump DID end up seating correctly
(and that was one of the "clunks" I heard during my first lurch/stall
last weekend), and something ELSE isn't quite right.. hmmm.

Maybe I'll make a few calls..

Thanks!

-Tom